Christian Pick-Up Lines

Tony Myles —  August 5, 2013 — 17 Comments

Back in my single days, I certainly had my share of cheesy pick-up lines. They ranged from flattering things I heard in songs (“Heaven must be missing an angel  ’cause you’re here with me right now.”) to quick blurbs inspired by the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (“Girl, if you was gravy I would sop you up with a biscuit!”)

(I didn’t say they actually worked.)

christianpickuplinesI’m sure you’ve noticed that being a Christian creates its own subculture of references and “isms.” I wonder if you’ve ever heard or said something as ridiculous as this when hormones meet the holy:

    • “I read the Bible daily. My favorite book is Numbers. Speaking of numbers, can I have yours?”
    • “My spiritual gifts are prophecy and discernment, which means I have a double-revelation that God wants us together.”
    • “Would you like to get into the Word with me? Great. This is my car, and I call it ‘Word’ Where to?”
    • “My multiple e-Bibles take up 85% of my iPod memory. I’ll let some love songs about you have the other 15%.”
    • “Girl/Boy, you are so unblemished that I would sacrifice you.”
    • “You make me want to be a better tither.”
    • “I’m here on a mission trip. But if we can’t be together, I’ll be mission you.”
    • “I’m praying for you. Not just for you, but ***FOR*** you.”
    • “As Christians, shouldn’t we honor all Scripture? Let’s start with 2 Corinthians 13:12
    • “You must be a Bible verse, because I can’t stop memorizing you.”
    • “You… complete me. That is, after Jesus completes me. You’re like the gluten in my communion bread.”
    • “How about we go back to my place? My accountability partner is there.”
    • I’d marry Leah if it meant I’d also get to marry you.”
    • “God told me I can break my fast for you.”
    • “For you, I’d start saying ‘Oh My Gosh’.”
    • “What do you say you and I take up a love offering?”
    • “I’m just curious… what’s your Promise Ring size?”
    • “Wouldn’t it be sad if our clothes weren’t next to each other’s in the rapture?”
    • “Your name must be Milk or Honey… ‘cuz you feel like something I was promised.”
    • “You and I are loaves and fish. Just imagine if we came together and gave ourselves to Jesus.”
    • “Hey, look! Matching Bible covers!”
    • “How about you and I go light a candle together?”
    • “What God thinks about me is infinitely more important than what others think about me. So, what do you think of me?”
    • “Don’t walk away, babe. You may not think I’m perfect but Jesus thinks I’m to die for.”


    Got any to add?

    Share yours below.

    UPDATE: Read Part 2 here

This weekend I taught the message a little differently than normal – some of it was live and some was on video. This was the second of 2 videos (click here if you missed the first one) we played to help teach the first week of the series called Stuff Jesus Didn’t Say.

JG



This weekend I taught the message a little differently than normal – some of it was live and some was on video. This was the first of 2 videos we played to help teach the first week of the series called Stuff Jesus Didn’t Say.

JG

Weekend Teaching Series: Stuff Jesus Didn’t Say (series premiere, week 1 of 2)

Service Length: 69 minutes

Understandable Message: This weekend we kicked off a brand new 2-week series called Stuff Jesus Didn’t Say – a contrast to some things that are usually attributed to Jesus with what He actually said. It was fun to talk about Jesus and shatter the misconceptions many people have about the church and Jesus words and teachings. This week I taught through what it takes to follow Jesus and trust Him for salvation, and what it looks like to follow Jesus ongoing as well. Fun, very different feeling talk this week – instead of a clear 3-step application at the end of the message, I used two discussion questions to challenge students to consider the message on their own. We also used 2 teaching videos to help convey the message this week – I’ll be sure to post them here on the blog later in the week.

Element of Fun/Positive Environment: This week we had another HSM Sports Minute, an epic Pumpkinfest promo video but largely it was a very clean, simple service without too much else happening.

Music Playlist: Dancing Generation, Child of God, Came to My Rescue, Majesty

Favorite Moment: I have so much love for our after service debrief. This weekend I changed up my message a TON right before the service and really appreciated the feedback as well as the adjustments to the message after the first service. Having a group of people who believe in me, make me better and challenge me is HUGE.

Up next: Stuff Jesus Didn’t Say (week 2 of 2)