– Have you heard of the new app, Yik Yak? It’s gaining popularity and raising a ton of concerns along the way. I’m not an alarmist by nature, but I downloaded it a few days ago and gotta admit that it spooked me as a youth worker. Wanna get an eye-full of teen culture at a glance? Download the app, then head in the vicinity of your local high school.
– Saw the late Paul Walker’s movie, Brick Mansions, yesterday with a buddy. Other than really cool fight/action scenes, it wasn’t worth the investment (and with the price of movies what they are, it is an investment!).
– Just read a really great little article about the importance of asking good questions, along with a list of the 35 best questions leaders can ask about/of their organization. Not all 35 apply to ministry, but some do….and they are really good! It’s not available online, so you’ll have to go buy the April edition of Inc. Magazine.
– On Easter, We launched a new campus in Los Angeles…Hollywood to be specific. After two weeks, it’s running almost 900 people! Normally we hire a part-time youth pastor to start, and that may be the case here, too, but we may hire full-time out of the gate. I’m looking for somebody who is familiar with LA culture and has a heart for the city. If anybody comes to mind, let me know!
- In a few minutes, me and my buddy AC (One of our awesome high school pastors) will shoot our first episode of the new, revamped video blog/podcast we are calling “Let’s Talk Youth Ministry”. When Jason and I quit doing the Simply Youth Ministry Show, we thought it would disappear quietly, but that hasn’t been the case. I’ve been shocked by the number of people who have approached me asking why we don’t do the show anymore, when it’s coming back, etc. So, we decided to bring it back…sort of. Jason and I always had trouble coordinating our schedules, and would have to shoot FOUR episodes at a time which meant they never felt current or in real-time. So one of the changes that AC and I will bring this time is that we will be posting a new episode every Wednesday! We are also hoping to get some video contributions from the Y#MNation. If you’d like to appear on the show, simply shoot a 45-second video on your phone and email it to email@example.com The video can fall into one of 3 categories:
1) A question about youth ministry you’d like us to address.
2) An “I can’t believe I did this” story of failure, idiocy, “oops” etc. from your ministry.
3) A 45-second sermon, word of encouragement, exhortation etc. to the YM Nation!