Posted By Kurt Johnston
- I was recently struck/challenged by the amount of what I call “God Talk” we use in our junior high ministry setting. By “God Talk” I mean the fact that we talk about God….a lot, but don’t talk about Jesus nearly enough. Some may see it as semantics, but I think it is more than that. In a culture where just about everybody is pro-god, I want students to begin identifying more and more with Jesus. Not sure where this is leading me, but I think it’s the right direction.
- Speaking of Jesus, we are about to wrap up a three-week series we called “Give Me a J!” which is a look at who Jesus is, what did he have to say, and what it means to us. It’s been a really great series. So good, in fact, that it will likely become a super series at simply junior high. But in case you don’t want to pay for it, here are the very basic key points from each week:
WHOIS HE: 1. God in a Bod. 2. The Promised Savior 3. The Only Way to Heaven
WHAT DID HE HAVE TO SAY? In a word, his message was about FREEDOM.
1. Freedom From Sin 2. Freedom From Acting Religiously 3. Freedom From Selfishness
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO ME? 1. If You Don’t Know Him, Meet Him. 2. If You Do Know Him, Share Him.
- Do you have Xbox live or use your Wii online? If so, and you enjoy television and movies, then I strongly recommend considering the online Netflix subscription for only $9.00 per month. the number of movies and television shows that are available to watch instantly is quite impressive. Of course, you can subscribe even without Xbox or Wii, but will only be able to watch on your computer Vs. your television.
- I find the Tea Party movement fascinating. If they can manage to stick to their original agenda (in case you wonder, TEA stands for “Taxed Enough Already”), they may have some legs….and may even be able to attract some moderates to their side of the discussion. But if they begin to meddle in other traditionally conservative issues (abortion, gay marriage, immigration….) I think they will loose effectiveness. Of course, I don’t really follow all this stuff enough to have a strong feel for it….it’s just an extremely un-educated observation about politics; which I’m interested in to some degree.
- Just got the new EVO phone. I may have crossed the line into a realm of technology/bells and whistles/awesomeness that I shouldn’t have. I truly can’t figure the thing out.