If you are a parent or a youth worker…than you have heard these four little words before:
“Everybody is doing it!”
You can choose your it…sex, alcohol, swearing, cheating, gossiping…Pick your poison!
Take sex for example…in this past week, I have found that in THEIR world…those words can be true. Just a few highlights from the week:
1. Went to a local surf shop with my husband and found the most offensive boardshorts (boardshorts!!) I have ever seen. I took a picture but I am pretty certain it’s not a good idea for me to post them. Basically, they are shorts with actual pictures of NAKED women. Boardshorts with pictures of real live ladies’ butts. What? Who buys these things??
2. Met with another youth worker who was talking about a group of girls that she works with and of the 5 or 6 girls all of them are struggling with sexual temptation. And they are finding that the fact that they are all doing it…justification for them doing it. Girls from church in a small group…having sex and saying it’s okay because we are all doing it.
Everybody is doing it. In their world…it just might be true.
How can we help?
1. Get in their world. Don’t let them be there alone without a caring adult.
2. Make their world bigger. Introduce them to the world of people who aren’t doing it. Show them their life is bigger than this moment…and their current world.
3. Keeping introducing Jesus to their world. It can be easy to get caught up in it all. But Jesus can change everything. Never tire of His story. When you are feeling overwhelmed by their world – remember that he knows it and can overcome it.
Let’s help our girls out of their world!