There are some things I think Iâ€™ll never fully understand.
Iâ€™m in an airplane as I type this. I know the laws of physics that explain how a giant hunk of metal can fly through the air â€“ but even still, I donâ€™t think Iâ€™ll ever completely â€œunderstandâ€ it. It still rattles my brain.
LIkewise, even though Iâ€™ve been doing middle school ministry for many years now, there are still some things Iâ€™ll never fully understand!
- Like how every week when small groups of middle school boys spend just a short amount of time in my office, the place absolutely stinks for hours after theyâ€™re gone.
- Like how middle school parents donâ€™t care what we teach 49 weeks out of the year, but when we start our guy/girl relationships series theyâ€™re all super-curious.
- Like how a jr. higher whoâ€™s excited to see me will run up & stand 12 inches from a conversation Iâ€™m having â€¦ even though they have nothing they want to say.
- Like how an adult whoâ€™s so reluctant to volunteer time with kids, can fall so in love with middle schoolers that they invest more than you ever thought they would.
- Like how â€œstealing a hat & running awayâ€ is still so fun for jr. highers.
- Like how some middle schools act like theyâ€™re about 8 years old, and others act like theyâ€™re 18. And how sometimes thatâ€™s the same kid, 20 minutes apart.
- Like how a game we dream up seems like such a genius idea â€“ until we actually play it!
- Like how honest a middle school kid will be with you, when they know that you really care about them.
- Like how God uses a shmoe like me to help some jr highers see him a little more clearly â€“ and how that can really, truly make a difference in their life!