I just returned from helping out at Group’s Large Church Youth Ministry Summit. It was three days of really good discussion and I left with a ton of things to chew on and think about. Here are a few unrelated nuggets of wisdom and insight that I need to chew on.
- Jesus’ style of leadership could perhaps be best described as “Surprising”. He was constantly surprising those around him.
- Leadership is as much intuitive as it is strategic.
- It may be that volunteers on our teams need looser parameters, not tighter ones. Make their ministry “box” bigger.
- Most of the time, our failures or mistakes in ministry can be turned into incredible opportunities to learn a leadership principle if we are willing to make the effort.
- Historically, it seems like God uses reluctant leaders much more often than those who “really want to lead”.
- Leadership is “fluid”, or “liquid” which means as a leader you need to know your leadership style etc. but be willing and able to lead differently in different scenarios.
There were more sound bites, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind. And those will have to suffice because I left my notes in Colorado!